The history of Somervell County begins with a small trading post on the
banks of the Paluxy River now known today as the City of Glen Rose.
The mill started as a water-powered gristmill in 1860 then to a steam-
powered burr mill. It was sold for $10 and turned into a cotton gin in
1895, a health spa with mineral waters in 1943, a hospital and clinic in
1949, and today a Historical Mill and Art Museum.